Winter is here but will end when spring equinox occurs and then spring starts. It is also known as Vernal Equinox or March Equinox. The day and night are approximately of the same length during Spring Equinox. How this happens? Actually this happens due to the inclination of earth (axial inclination) towards Sun. During this time in the northern hemisphere the Sun appears exactly above the the equator and the rays line up perpendicular to the Earth’s axial tilt. As it marks the start of spring and Spring Equinox 2020 will start from March 20 and end on June 20 which is Summer Solstice 2020. So the date for Spring solstice is March 20, 2020 for the northern hemisphere.
How many times Spring Equinox happens in a year?
Spring equinox happens twice a year, once in northern hemisphere in March and once in southern hemisphere in September. The date and time of the equinox depends upon the location and time zone of the place.
Spring Equinox Events around the Globe
Spring equinox is an astronomical event celebrated in many countries in the northern hemisphere. People celebrate the as it signals the spring, in many countries.
- Druids, Pagans and Wiccans at Stonehenge on Spring Equinox.
- In Iran Spring equinox marks the New year known as Nouroz
- Songkran water festival is celebrated in Thailand
- White House Easter Egg Roll in USA
- Egg stream games played in China
- Nouroz the Persian festival also celebrated in Gilgit Baltistan on the eve of spring equinox
- Bonfires are lit in Turkey on this event.
- Shunbun No Hi is celebrated in Japan known for Spring equinox.
And much more….
Is celebrated around the globe on the eve of Spring Equinox. These astronomical events happens 4 times in a year known as Spring equinox, Summer Solstice, Autumnal equinox and Winter solstice.